Thursday, April 24, 2008

Signs Ignored

In a few hours I will be traveling to California to visit my my son, who is an officer in the Air Force, and attending a conference at Pepperdine University. I must admit that I have been experiencing some unexpected flashbacks. Three years ago I also went to Pepperdine. I didn't know it at the time, but I was trying my best to have a heart attack. I spent the whole time complaining to anyone who would listen. My friends were heartless. The actually joked about my complaining. I was having almost constant indigestion, or at least that's what I thought it was. I just assumed I was sick with some bug. I still wasn't thinking heart. If you have ever seen or been to Pepperdine you realize that it is literally built on the side of a mountain, and it is not unusual to walk up or down over 200 steps to go from one building to another. Before the end of the week I had stopped walking and started riding the shuttle bus. Again, my wonderful friends made jokes at my expense. I finally told them that when I died I would have these words inscribed on my tombstone: "See I told you I was sick." Even though I knew something was wrong, I laughed right along not having a clue that at the time I was just two weeks away from my life changing and life saving surgery. There I was walking up and down mountains with my "widow maker" over 90% blocked. I am lucky to be alive. I will explain in another post, but the realization of a genuine brush with death can often lead to depression instead of the happiness many would expect.  I am excited about the trip, and am indeed thankful that when I visit this time I will walk up the steps with a strong heart and a new outlook on life.

No comments: