Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Food: An Everyday Challange

Yesterday was Memorial Day. In otherwords it was a day where food was a top priority. I remember a time when I gave absolutly no thought about what I ate except whether it was good or not. I don't know how much my diet played a role in my coranary artery disease, but knowing what I put into my mouth I have to believe it played a major role. The reality was that I loved fried food and all the other things people sometimes call "artery glue." After my surgery I had to face some major lifestyle changes and food was near the top of the list. About a year post-op I was talking to a cardiac nurse who claimed that the majority of people who had bypass surgery we back to their old ways of eating within two years.

With the help of a wonderfully supportive wife, everything about my diet changed, but after three years I still have a some challanges. First, days like yesterday are tough. We had a bunch of family over and we did have grilled chicken, but we also had fresh strawberry pie, and homemade lemon ice cream made with heavy whipping cream. I know it is ok to have some of the bad stuff, but on days like yesterday and the 4th of July the challange becomes moderation. By the way, that ice cream is out of this world. I face a second challange everytime I go out to eat. I just wish there were move healthy options for folks like me. When I look at the number of fast food places and resturants in general I am amazed that there is not even more heart disease. I am not interested in becoming the food police, but I do believe that the resturant industry could do better.

No comments: