Tuesday, October 7, 2008

They Don't All Look Alike

On Monday I spent a good bit of my day having a Thallium Stress Test. While waiting my turn on the tredmill I spent some time talking to two other men waiting too. One looked like a heart attack waiting to happen. He was over-weight and looked out of shape, but the other guy looked like an athlete. I found out that he had been. Even played pro ball for the Vikings, mostly on the sideline, but still he made the team. That little encounter reminded me of something that I have noticed often. You can look great, but still have heart disease. I had lost 50 pounds not long before you bypass. I have seen marathon runners have heart attacks. Yes, if you are 100 pounds over-weight, smoke and drink too much you are probably going to have heart disease, but you might look like the picture of health and in reality be on the verge of problems. What both of these men did that was the right thing was they were getting checked out. Hey, why don't you get checked out?

No comments: