Friday, January 23, 2009

Keeping Your Doctors on the Same Page

Yesterday I got a call from the office of my Family Practice Doc. I had gone there last week for a problem unrelated to my heart. In the process of the visit he ordered some blood work. The call yesterday was to inform me that my CPK was elevated and I needed to lower my dose of Crestor in half. My over all cholesterol and my LDL and HDL numbers were the best ever. But there is a problem. I am not about to change my dose of Crestor without the advise of my cardiologist, and I am still wondering why the blood work was done in the first place since I was not fasting. I am saying all of this just to illustrate that it is our responsibility to take charge of our health care. I just cannot assume that doctors communicate with one another. I also cannot assume that every test that a doctor gives is administered correctly. I love my family doctor, but I don't mind at all making sure things are done correctly.

No comments: