Monday, March 23, 2009

Sickness after Surgery

I have been sick for about a full week. I feel fine now, but a few days ago I just felt rotten. Most people don't realize this, but a normal run of the mill sickness can drive a bypass survivor crazy. After surgery you already feel like you have narrowly escaped death so anything even a little out of the ordinary can really mess with your head.  "Does this have anything to do with my heart?" is usually the first thought to pop into your mind. In time you realize that you can get sick like everyone else and that a cold doesn't mean your imminent demise. There are a lot of hurdles to get over to get back to your normal, but you can get there. I promise.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I just had shoulder surgery - and would look to throw in that surgery for someone who lacks a healthy functioning heart can also throw you off more than a "healthy" person. I feel like my body is having a heck of a time getting rid of the last bit of general anesthesia that's left lingering in my system! I hope you feel better soon. -Rachel