Thursday, November 6, 2008

Dealing With Your Own Mortality


On Saturday I turn 50. I think that is pretty cool considering what I have been though during the last few years. I have told you about my bypass surgery, but that was only one of several surgeries that I have faced since then. I now know I am going to die. Doesn't everyone. Not really. When I was a teenager I don't think I even had a concept of dying. I don't especially like the fact of someday dying, but there is not much that I can do about it. For me that was one of the toughest parts of going through my bypass surgery. For the first time in my life a doctor, in fact two,  told me that I almost died, and would have without the surgery. That kind of information kind of gets to you, at least it did me. I think part of my emotional recovery has been to learn to be at peace with the reality that I am getting older and my past is longer than my future. I think I have finally gotten to the point where I am much better at living in the present and finding the joy of a single day. In fact, today was an especially good day. I even took the time to take some pictures in my neighborhood of the beautiful fall foliage. Life is good.

No comments: