Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Passion

I have always been interested in politics, and have kept up with every presidential election since I was a kid, which means Johnson and Goldwater. This election seems different to me, and I am not talking about the potential firsts like first African-American, or first female Vice-President. I am talking about level of passion. People are voting in record numbers. People are voicing their opinions. I just hope people will behave after it's over. Passion is a funny thing though. It is pretty easy to get, but is also equally easy to loose. It really doesn't matter what the passion is. Most people loose it. Now what in the would does this have to do with bypass surgery and heart disease? More than you think. When I was cracked open over three years ago I was told all the changes I would have to make to my lifestyle, like diet and exercise. In the beginning it was easy to make those changes. The passion was there, but eventually things settle down, and the pain and fear go away, and a feeling of normalcy returns. That is when passion is hard to maintain. The sad fact is that most people that I know who have had bypass surgery have long since abandoned their special diet and the exercise bike makes a great place to hang clothes. But I do know a few, just a few, who have held on to there passion to live different lives, and their passion has paid off.

No comments: